"Seriously, what's the deal with the hat?"
If you've seen me in person or in photographs, you've probably noticed that I am almost always seen with a particular baseball cap.
It's the black one with a picture of country music artist and rodeo champion Chris LeDoux riding the bucking bronc Stormy Weather next to the singer's name.
So, why do I wear this particular hat? A bulleted list seems appropriate...
- I like the way the hat fits my head. Most hats don't fare as well, so I stick with what's comfortable.
- I think Chris LeDoux is a good musician.
- I've been balding since my early 20s, Matt Hasselbeck-style. This doesn't stop the process, but at least it gives folks something else to look at.
- It holds stuff. It's like a utility belt on my head.
- It's a good ice-breaker. People who recognize and like Chris LeDoux immediately have a talking point from which to start a conversation. People who don't recognize him often inquire and the discussion starts there. One would suppose there is a third group that does not recognize the artist and somehow has a negative impression of him anyway. I haven't met anyone in the third group, and quite frankly, I don't want to.
- Association. People might not remember my name or who I work for off the top of their heads, but they might remember the guy with the hat, and hopefully that the guy with the hat will do right by them.